Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am pro-solar. All the way. But...

Let's take that graphic. A chunk of territory in CA (it appears) is enough to generate electricity for the entire nation. If you just crunch power consumption numbers vs solar output and panel efficiency, I could believe that. However, that's a gross oversimplification of the problem. You need battery storage for night time when there is no sun. What if it's cloudy and rainy for three days straight? What about transmission losses (if you are siting all your solar in sunny areas you will need to transmit the power hundreds of miles to places that aren't so sunny)? Lots and lots of complications that have to be accounted for in any actual infrastructure plan.

I can't say I'm a fan of nuclear, but I will take it over coal/fossil anytime. And with the above complications in a nation as large and climatically diverse as ours, it may be a necessary evil.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement