Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
i am retired(70 yrs old)& just received 14k+ windfall.i have low tolerance for risk.i have more money than i need for living(expenses) and about 120k in conservative investments(mutual funds-vanguard)and ileft 300k in my companys 401k plus some cd,s and my house(paid for).all told 675 to question:your opinion on VANGUARD inflation proof bond mutual fund or treasury inflation proof bonds?thank you.

You should consider inflation indexed savings bonds. The regular inflation protected bonds or TIPS can cause tax problems. Basically you are taxed on the inflation increase in the principal even though you do not receive it.

This does not occur with ISavingsBonds. You are only taxed when you cash them. More information at

The savings bonds are currently yielding 7.49%. They will set a new rate on Nov. 1.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.