Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Estate Distributions Taxable as Gifts? Date: 4/6/2013 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am sorry for your loss. I understand, my father passed away a few months earlier.

There is no gift tax.

If there are estate taxes due, then the estate would likely pay it. From your previous post, there was an inherited IRA. There could be a situation where there aren't sufficient assets outside of an IRA to cover estate taxes. It doesn't sound like that is this situation.

Now for difficult issues. Was a personal income tax return filed for 2011? Since your father passed away so late in 2011, almost all of the income would be allocated to his income and not the estate. An estate return might not be required for 2011.

She should have obtained a TIN for the estate, and transferred the undistributed accounts to the estate. If there was over $600 in income during 2012, an estate income tax return needs to be filed, and K-1s issued. If she hasn't transferred the remaining assets to the estate. A personal income tax return would need to be filed to transfer the income to the estate.

If your father had a trust, then probate might not be required. Given the assets you have listed, there was enough assets to require probate if there wasn't a trust.

She isn't seeking professional help, so there can't be those bills. If there is real estate, then there could still be expenses to cover. Other than expenses for real estate, I don't see any reason that there would still be unpaid bills. I was surprised at how quickly final medical bills were submitted to insurance and processed.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement