No. of Recommendations: 2
I am sure I will totaly tick off more than a few of you but oh well.

It can't be too much more than a few of us, I think there have been less than 10 posters on this board! ;-)

Anyway, you do bring up some good examples of bad science. Not everything that is done in the name of science is right; there are a lot of people out there with really big egos, who either can't believe that they are wrong, or just want to convince everyone else that they are right, even if they know that they are wrong.
I'm sure you are aware that there are many examples of bad religion also. ("send me money or God will call me to heaven" comes to mind). Neither religion or science should be judged solely on the kooks.

The important aspect of science (too often overlooked) is not the facts, but how those facts were derived. Proper scientific education teaches one how to think. Certainly the findings are important, but without learning the process of getting there, it is empty knowledge.

Some people criticize science because it is always changing. This is simply because science is a never ending quest for answers. There is very little out there that scientists will say is totally known about. Any scientific "fact" must be changed when there is legitimate evidence to the contrary. Of course, there is often controversy regarding what evidence is legitimate, which is a good thing; it keeps it interesting!

Welcome to the board.

David
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement