Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am teaching in Korea, and I am tax exempt for up to about $91,000. How much I make depends largely on the exchange rate, but I'd guess around $30,000 with the current rate. I have no idea how this would affect my tax rate on a conversion though.

You really must stop scaring me. I could be forced to take to drink.

Something didn't sound right here, but before I panicked I went back and looked to see if you were involved in the discussion we had about making IRA contributions while excluding foreign earned income. You were, and just to reassure me, you have about $30,000 of income in excess of the foreign earned income exclusion, right?

Line 3 of the tax calculation worksheet you use to figure your tax gives you the taxable income that you'd add the conversion amount to. You can then check that amount against the tax rate schedules to find your marginal rate. It sounds to me like you'd be in the 28% bracket.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.