Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am thinking of "moving" a couple investments to a Roth IRA. Am I correct that to do so, I must sell in my current account and re-buy in the IRA. If the sale will result in a loss how long must I wait before re-buying in the roth to lock in the tax loss. Also for tax purposes is there a difference between short term loss and long term loss. If so , how long must the stock be held to be long term? Thanks

Yes, you must sell the investment in your taxable account and repurchase it in your Roth. You cannot make contributions to an IRA using anything but money. If your taxable sale is a loss, you must wait more than 30 days before repurchasing in your Roth if you want to claim the loss on your tax return. Finally, there is no tax advantage to allowing a loss to become long-term (held more than one year).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.