No. of Recommendations: 0
I am trying to send a video from my computer as an attachment to an e-mail. The video is 8 or 9 minutes. I have saved it on my computer in "Windows Live Movie Maker." When I try to send it to myself as a test. The e-mail arrives with no attachment. Does anyone have any tips?

Generally videos are very large. A typical "30-minute" television program with the commercials stripped out is a little under 25 minutes. This can be about 100 MegaBytes of data.

One problem with the received e-mail losing the attachment is because the receiver does not accept such things. If I attach a single-frame still image, my e-mail user agent (Thunderbird) will not even try to send it unless the receiver accepts HTML e-mail.

The other problem that would frequently occur is that many mail servers will not accept e-mails over about 4 Megabytes.

Because of its length, I would think compressing it, would maybe be the answer? I have no idea how to compress it before sending it. Thanks for your help.

There are many ways to compress raw video. I even worked on this when I was in the research department of a large regulated communication company. We could fairly easily attain a 3:1 compression of images. And with what were very advanced techniques back then, we could get better than 10:1 with some kinds of moving images. But that was about 40 years ago, and I do not know what the current state of the art is.

If your video is of the .mp4 variety, you can forget about compressing it much, since it is already compressed. If you bothered to design a program with the techniques we used in the 1970s, you would be transmitting the video in a form no one else could decompress, so why bother?
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.