UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6630  
Subject: Re: Well far out!! Date: 4/11/2001 7:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am using Mandrake too. I wonder which Mandrake version you have installed. And also if you have installed a package named kudzu.

I am running 2.2.17. I purchased the "Powerpack Deluxe release 7.2". I configured as a workstation, since I wanted all the goodies, then I have been installing other packages as needed.

I have installed Kudzu and ran it after reading what you said. Doesn't help me in my particular problem.

At this point, I have concluded that somehow my Gnome installation has become hosed. I am now logging into KDE and everything seems to be working.

On startup, Gnome reports that there has been an error in inter process communication. A socket was not found. Check to make sure that dcopserver is actually running (it is).

So, from KDE I am having no trouble. Whole system is up and running now; I have squid serving my LAN, Samba is working, IPChains is functioning as a firewall, Internet Junkbuster is working, and I am almost completely happy. I will be completely happy when I get diald running with squid so that users on the LAN can automagically dial up the internet without logging into this computer.

Oh yes, one other thing to make me happy. I downloaded Wordperfect for Linux and it won't install. The installer is choking on the fact that I have a directory labeled Linux2.2.17-mdk. The "-mdk" is causing a lot of grief.

I feel like I'm coming home; Linux reminds me a lot of my old Amigas. I have learned as much about Linux since last Wednesday night (when I started the installation) as I learned about Windows NT in two years. Sure is nice to be working with an environment that encourages knowledge, rather than that immensely opaque Bill Gates Special.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement