UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4031  
Subject: Re: Wireless Internet: AT&T ? Date: 12/4/2008 2:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am very close to ordering the AT&T Laptop Connect. I have never had a laptop, nor am I familiar with wireless internet issues, but I'm trying to figure it out. Here in NYC, it sounds like all the areas we would work with the laptop is wholly serviced by AT&T and it seems to have a good service and availability reputation, as far as I can tell. (Other services like T-Mobile are available, but can be much more erratic or slower.)

I live in Atlanta, not NYC, but here, there is no difference between the level of service between ATT & T-Mobile. MOF, from what I've experienced, T-Mobile was more reliable. I've had both, and Sandman is a BLS retiree.

My understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong!, is that once I finally order and receive my own laptop, the wireless card can be switched to my new machine and other than possibly downloading appropriate software, there is nothing else i need to worry about. Is this true?

And the monthly fee, of course. BTW, the cards are slower than a regular Wi-Fi connection. The cards are working on ell phone bandwidth - aka radio waves. Do not expect speeds like you get with a wireless to router signal.

Other than the type of connection (the regular Ultra has the regular PC Type II slot, the Express has a USB), is there any difference between the two?

I can't help with those details.

If you have any other suggestions or tips about ordering either wifi service, wifi cards, or even laptops in general (PC preferred, but also considering Mac), please let me know.

Also from experience, the Macs tend to have a stronger signal when using the built-in wireless. There are other details, too, like they tend to be more stable, everything is already built-in, etc. I don't know how much of a consideration price is, but because the Macs come with everything already, they tend to be more expensive than regular PCs which tend to have fewer features.
HTH,
Kathleen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement