Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: I asked the wrong question: Bake/Broil/Roast Date: 12/27/2012 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What I really want to know is this:

How do I know when to use which of these settings?
• Bake
• Broil
• Roast
• Convection Bake
• Convection Broil
• Convection Roast

I have lots of recipes, but none of them ever say "set the oven to convection roast at 350°.

Presumably there are some guidelines about what food is being cooked, or the desired results, but the manual doesn't make that clear and I'm not psychic.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21235 of 21259
Subject: Re: I asked the wrong question: Bake/Broil/Roast Date: 12/27/2012 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I use convection bake for pastries, breads, casseroles, cookies, pizza on the top rack.

Non-convection bake for delicate baked goods such as cheesecake or any delicate thing that requires a water bath.

Convection Roast for well, roasts, (feel dumb typing this). But essentially large cuts of meat, poultry, whole or cut.

I don't have non-convection roast and am not sure I would use it if I did.

I don't have convection broil either. But since broil implies heat from above how does convection broil make sense?

I guess my GE answers most of the questions you are asking.

In summary, I use convection when I can except for delicate things that contain eggs.

HTH
GeeB

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21236 of 21259
Subject: Re: I asked the wrong question: Bake/Broil/Roast Date: 12/27/2012 4:12 PM
Recommendations: 0
But since broil implies heat from above how does convection broil make sense?

According to the manual, during convection broil the rear-mounted fan circulates the air, but heat comes from only the upper element.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21238 of 21259
Subject: Re: I asked the wrong question: Bake/Broil/Roast Date: 12/29/2012 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
I got curious so I did some googling and thought this site was fairly instructive.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/kitchenequipment/ex...

I doubt I'll have a convection oven any time soon as I had to replace my old crappy oven when it failed right after Christmas last year and had to take what the local store had. Don't remember seeing any convection ovens but then I was looking at gas anyway. I don't think a gas convection oven exists. I shall have to google that next.

RM

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21240 of 21259
Subject: Re: I asked the wrong question: Bake/Broil/Roast Date: 12/29/2012 1:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't think a gas convection oven exists.

See; http://www.sears.com/appliances-ranges&Freestanding%20Ra....
;-)

C.J.V.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement