Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I believe that Christ chose us first,

Christ chose His ~disciples~ (all followers) first . . .this is correct.

but I believe He chose ALL of
us.

All of who? The whole world?

Not according to Jesus or any of the rest of Scripture. (Please visit Bible Studies Daily Message Board to find a "Two Seeds" study presently, on this very subject.)

Jesus said He did not pray for the world, but only for His disciples (including all followers born of the Spirit). Read John 17:9.

I've always believed that to mean He didn't pray for the worldly aspects of human existence. According to your own beliefs, when it says that God so loved 'the world', he'd be referring only to the chosen ones, wouldn't he? At least we can't be certain what Jesus was talking about by 'not praying for the world' just by the words.

That kinda leaves the ball in our court, doesn't it?

It certainly would, if God left salvation and choosing one's destiny up to each soul. But God leaves nothing up to chance, or to the decisions of sinful men, according to the Scriptures.

For the Scriptures teach clearly, that God chose a people before the foundation of the world, who would be redeemed in Jesus Christ. (Eph. 1:3-14). Because these people were chosen by God, and named in the Lamb's Book of Life before creation, it is guaranteed by God's Spirit and Christ's own word to His Father, that none of them would be lost. (John 17:12)

These people constitute the invisible church of Jesus Christ; they are the legitimate sons of God, and only them does God rebuke and chasten in love, to conform them to the image of His Son, and these alone are addressed in Rev. 3:19.

As far as the Ephesians thing, I've always thought that to mean that Man in general was originally meant to hold the place of 'legitimate sons of God'. Besides, check out 12 & 13- that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of his glory. In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. Sounds like a choice to me.

And the John thing, totally different. He's talking about the original 12 disciples plain and simple.

I've already addressed the Revelations thing.

I want you to know that I don't say you are wrong. Just that what's always made sense to me still does- even with the verses I've so far addressed.

K (always on the lookout for the truth, and still am)

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement