Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I believe the amount I contributed in 98 will mostly be deductible. I crossed over 30k in income in 98, barely.

So, I will have to figure out how much of this is actualy deductible. I think your option one is more correct. According to the Form 8606, if you converted all of the traditional IRA to Roth in 98, and had never made any nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA, enter 0 on line 15. But does this mean on prior years returns and this one? Reading this passage again on page 5-6 of the Form 8606 instructions, I guess I might have to refigure line 15. I will have some nondeductible amounts in 98, but not for any years prior. Not sure of the IRS interpretation.

I appreciate the help, at any rate. I would hope the IRS would make more info available on my situation. I would guess it is the most common one this past year.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.