Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I believe you can convert any defined contribution plan (401(k), 403(b), SEP, SIMPLE, Money Purchase Plan) into a Roth, but you first have to transfer the money into a traditional IRA and then convert to a Roth IRA. If there are any exception to the general rule i hope someone posts.

You can definately make a contribution to a Roth even if you also participate in a SEP - as long as you have earned income and AGI is under $150,000 for MFJ.

A question back for you, is there ever a bad time or place to invest in good rulebreakers?

Have a good day,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.