UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: grayfost One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35252  
Subject: Re: Plan For Mom Date: 6/13/2003 4:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I-bonds can beat 5 year CDs currently. I just ordered a bunch. As of May 1, they're paying 4.66%, if I recall the exact number correctly. Rates change each May and November. There's a limit as to how much you can buy in a year; I think $30,000. You can't cash in for 1 year; after that, if you cash in before 5 years, you lose 3 months interest (decreasing your interest for that last year to about 3.5% at the current rate); you get full interest cashing in any time after 5 years. You don't pay tax on the interest until you cash in the bond (unlike the deal with TIPs). Gov't has a website where you can get full info, order online, even set up an electronic Treasury Direct Account and order electronic I and EE bonds. (You cannot yet convert paper bonds to electronic bonds, but they're looking into adding this feature). I think the website is www.savingsbonds.gov -- if I'm wrong, check a search engine, which is how I got there myself. The Treasury Direct account is set up through another website, probably www.TreasuryDirect.gov -- I think I got there via a link from the savings bond site.

Other thoughts: Having thoroughly studied Gillette Edmunds' book published in 2000, "How to Retire Early and Live Well with Less Than a Million Dollars" (which, despite the generic title, is by far the best of many investing books I've read), I would do with Mom's money what I'm doing with my own: Put it into 3-5 non-correlated asset classes. The book tells you everything you need to know about this, and has certainly convinced me that it's the least risky strategy of all. I would consider the pension/SS $ as the equivalent of bonds, and divide the $100K plus any future reinvestments equally into other non-correlated asset classes, rebalancing every year or 2.

My own choice is 20% each into: US non-REIT stocks; real estate; oil & gas; stocks of developed foreign countries; and emerging market foreign stocks. (The book discusses other potential asset class choices as well, eg: gold, bonds, etc.) My personal choice of vehicles for investing in these various asset classes is as follows:

For US non-REIT stocks: Vanguard Total Market Index Fund (not sure if that's the exact name, but it's the index fund covering the entire US stock market); and two exchange traded funds: RSP (S&P 500 Equal Weight Index Fund, which is rebalanced quarterly and holds equal dollar amounts of each stock) and MDY (S&P MidCap SPDRs).

For real estate: Individual REIT stocks (you can find a list of "Blue Chip REITs" on the TMF message board on Real Estate - Investing in REITS); and Vanguard's REIT Index Fund. The latter does go against Mr. Edmunds' advice to buy no more than about 5 individual REIT stocks, because more (such as an index fund) will give you too high a correlation with US small cap stocks, but I figure the high dividend yield of REITs makes a big difference between these 2 categories.

For oil and gas: two exchange traded funds: IXC (Global Energy Index Fund -- top holdings are almost all big oil cos -- Exxon, BP, Total Fina Elf, Royal Dutch/Shell, Chevron, etc) and OIH (Oil Service HOLDRs; must buy in 100 share lots, current cost high $60s per share, invests in oil service cos as opposed to oil production cos); and one stock, KMP, Kinder Morgan Partners, large natural gas pipeline co. There's also the parent co. Kinder Morgan (KMI) which pays less in dividends but has more growth potential -- see recent TMF article about the co. I'm still researching other ways to invest in oil & gas, but these are my 3 so far.

Stocks of developed foreign countries: several exchange traded funds: EFA (Europe, Asia, Far East, tracks MSCI EAFE Index; note holdings are heavy on UK and Japan stocks; also top single holding last check was BP, which overlaps the Oil & Gas category -- ie: know what your index funds actually hold!); EPP (Pacific excluding Japan -- heavy on Australia); EZU (European Monetary Union or EMU index -- stocks of European countries using the Euro -- so it excludes UK and, for that matter, BP). The latter 2 are to balance out the heavy weighting of UK and Japanese stocks in EFA. Another to consider is IEV (S&P Europe 350; the S&P's choice of 350 top European stocks, which do include UK).

Emerging Market Stocks: One exchange traded fund - EEM - tracks index of emerging market stocks (just started trading in April 2003, up 20% already), and Vanguard's Emerging Markets Index Fund (charges a 1/2% purchase and redemption fee).

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement