UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFSandman Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2534  
Subject: Re: Monitor Investment Performance Date: 1/1/2011 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I calculate my returns monthly. When you calculate returns you have the option to pick pretty much whatever frequency sample rate you want. You could do it daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually, etc. I find that monthly gives me enough granularity without driving me nuts with the bookkeeping that daily updating would. I then use these monthly returns to calculate my annual total return.

Calculating my returns monthly gives me enough granularity to take into account any new money I'm adding into my portfolio and any money I might withdraw from my portfolio. It's important not to include new money added or money taken out in your portfolio returns or you won't be able to fairly compare your stock picking performance to the S&P 500 index or whatever other benchmark you are using. The method I describe here is the method used by mutual funds to calculate their returns, as they also do not want to be penalized or rewarded for client cash flows that are not in their control. This method is called the time-weighted rate of return, or TWRR for short. Here's how it works:

Each month I record my portfolio's balance at the beginning of the month and then at the end of the month. To get the return for the month I perform this calculation:

( (end of month value - net new cash added) - beginning of month value)/beginning of month value = return for the month

For example, If my starting balance for the month was $10,000, I added $2,000 at the beginning of the month from my paycheck, and the end of the month balance was $15,000, my portfolio return was not ($15,000-$10,000)/$10,000 = 50%. Instead, it is ($13,000-$10,000)/$12,000 = 25%.

Likewise, if my starting balance for the month was $10,000, I withdrew $2,000 at the beginning of the month from my account, and the end of the month balance was $9,000, my portfolio return was not ($9,000-$10,000)/$10,000 = -10%. Instead, it is ($11,000-$10,000)/$8,000 = 12.5%.

I then multiply all of the months' returns together to get my annual total return. So if for month 1 I got a 20% return, month 2 I got a 5% return, and month 3 I got a -10% return, my three month return would look like this:

[1.2 * 1.05 * (1 - 0.1)] - 1 = 13.4% rate of return

Remember that when you are multiplying returns together you do not use negative numbers. Instead you subtract the negative return from 1 and use the result.

Granted, you can get a more and more accurate total return the more samples you take, especially if you are putting in money or are taking out money very frequently. If you are adding money twice a month maybe you'd want to calculate your returns weekly, or maybe the extra accuracy isn't worth the hassle. You could even calculate your returns daily. At this point it all depends on how accurate you want to get and how much work you want to do.

Here's a link to a Google Doc spreadsheet that does the above calculations monthly:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsraH71-cdcTdHU4ZnR...

Yellow cells are cells that require input from you and green cells are calculated by the spreadsheet. "BMV" stands for Beginning Market Value and "EMV" Ending Market Value.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement