Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: bank bounced check to irs Date: 4/24/2004 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I called our accountant...and he said, "oh god, no." The best he could tell me was to wait for the IRS either to send the check back through to the bank or to return the check to us. We'd just have to wait to see what they do. He didn't understand why a hold for 8 days since the check was drawn on a local bank by a well known entity in town.

Now what??? Any other suggestions? Do I have any recourse against the bank?

I'm surprised the accountant had such a dramatic reply, I would never talk that way to a client! It's not the end of the world and there are lots of solutions.

There probably isn't any recourse against the bank, it's pretty standard practice....that said, the bank should be willing to write a letter to the IRS explaning/confirming what happened...if you get a notice from the IRS.

The IRS isn't, IMHO, really the "bad" guys we tend to make them out to be. They "forgive" and credit penalities and interest assessed that were caused by "normal mistakes". I've found them to be very reasonable.

We had a payment they said they didn't get...we didn't get the check back, it didn't clear the bank. We just had to show them our bank statement with the missing check number (showing it wasn't returned to the bank), and a copy of the stop payment on the check. They credited all penalities and interest.

They do send those horrible letters, and always tell you on the phone they can attach your assest...but that is part of the rules to let you know what can happen.

Jean

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement