No. of Recommendations: 0
I came to this board today looking for advice. I currently work for an insurance company with little to no growth prospects, job insecurity, and few transferable skills outside my industry.

I considered going back to school for MBA or ohter graduate degree, but found the cost prohibitively expensive. I have zn undergrad BS in Social Sciences, which I admist although mostly useless, did help me land my first job. (It also was not expensive to obtain 15 years ago as I stayed at home, went to Community College for two years, and then transferred to another local college where I did not have to pay room and board. I was always able to find flexible part time work too as I had many contacts in town from HS etc.)

Thankfully I still have a job, but find the work very unfulfilling. Also as noted above I have very little job security or transferable skills outside my industry. To start over in a new career would cause at least a 30%-50% drop in salary. I began researching different careers and one job that continually comes up is CNC Machinsist, whether it be operator or programmer. Operator pay is about 15-16/hour, and would be great for a kid coming out of a one year tech program offered by the Community College here. IN fact, I am considering entering this program my self. The total cost is less than $10,000 for a certificate that seems to get you in the door. There are a lot of manufacturing jobs in my area (surprisingly in the Northeast) but I am of course hesitant to make th change. The ork seems very interesting to me and would be nice to switch from being a desk worker/paper pusher to actually making something. I wish I had taken the opportunity when I was younger but my Community College was more focused on preparing kids to transfer to 4 year college then entering the workforce.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement