UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Susan2323 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308484  
Subject: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 46
Not long ago I posted my first message. I am $30,000 in CC debt. I thought when I told you that, I would get answers saying "file BK" or "throw in the towel-it's hopeless". Not only did I not get those answers, but you were telling me I could fix this. Right. I called CCCS and made an appointment and they sent the paperwork. I didn't like what I read. I felt they would be in too much control of my life. BUT, as I filled the papers out, for the first time in a long time, I got a good look at my expenses and saw many places I can cut back. Then I came back to this message board and read and read and read. Not only are some of you in more debt than I am (or you were) which I didn't think was possible, but you are paying it off! You are such an inspiration! I can do this, too.
I will make my payments on time, I will get them to lower my finance charges and I will repair my credit rating.
I'm a little scared-make that a lot, but I feel if I keep reading this board, I can do this. Thanks for all your help!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RadioPhool One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67115 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 1:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Susan!

You're right- you can do it and you WILL do it...if you are patient and dedicated to the end result. Stick to your guns, understand there will be bumps in the road from time to time, and stay the course. The feeling of achievement will be more gratifying than you can imagine!

Radio!!!

Author: uwalum Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67116 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 1:32 AM
Recommendations: 6
Here are a few things that have helped to live on less and find money to pay off debt.

1. Costco or Sam Club phone card and cancel long distance.
2. Sell stuff you don't need (declutter your home) at consignment stores, eBay and garage sales.
3. Don't buy clothing for one year.
4. Make gifts
5. Cook from scratch and make a menu and list for what you need.
6. Wash in cold
7. Use half the soap for everything (clothes, dishes, shampoo, toothpaste)
8. Buy generic
9. Turn the heat down and wear a sweater
10. Turn the water off when you brush your teeth
11. Time your showers to 5 minutes
12. Put a filled with water mason jar in the toilet tank
13. Decrease your garbage can or pick up and recycle more
14. Take aluminum cans in for cash
15. Increase the deductibles on your car and home
16. Plant a garden
17. Hang your clothes to dry
18. Use vinegar in water to clean floors and a bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean the bathrooms.
19. Entertainment can be free or close to it. The library, beach, park.
20. Evaluate your habits. Smoking, drinks, new books, movies...all cost $.

L

Author: terz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67123 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 2:55 AM
Recommendations: 0
Hey Susan: I commend you for your positive attitude. I'm living proof that you can do it. With support from this board (mostly from just reading inspirational posts of people who had "been there, done that"), I dug myself out of $20,000 of debt. FYI-Most of my debt accumulated quickly in the spring of 1997, due to some uncontrollable circumstances. Three years later, writing that final check to pay off my AMEX balance brought on the vapors. YES!! - You can do it too. Best to you - Terz

Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67140 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 10:03 AM
Yes you can do this too. Anybody can. It just takes the commitment to get there.

I'm really touched by the thread just before yours, starting at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14796459 ...

I myself came out of a $35,000 credit card debt that felt horrendous at the time and I was completely powerless in the face of it. But as I worked through it, for me it was a process of reclaiming power and ability in the world. The world is a wholly different place for me now than when I started with the credit repayment.

I wish the same for you. That as you tackle this yourself, that you will rediscover the part of you lost within the credit struggle.

- David

Author: foolishinTX Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67156 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 11:16 AM
Yes -- you can do this. Keep posting, reading and learning. We are all in this together!

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67193 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/19/2001 3:31 PM
Then I came back to this message board and read and read and read. Not only are some of you in more debt than I am (or you were) which I didn't think was possible, but you are paying it off! You are such an inspiration! I can do this, too.
I will make my payments on time, I will get them to lower my finance charges and I will repair my credit rating.
I'm a little scared-make that a lot, but I feel if I keep reading this board, I can do this. Thanks for all your help!

Bravo, Susan!!

You absolutely CAN do it, and I'm certain that you will. As you can see from Radio's post and so many others, it's a matter of determination and dedication. Sure, there's some sacrifice, but the prize at the end of the road is one worth fighting for.

We're here to support you, so please keep us posted. Congratulations to you on becoming Foolish!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Susan2323 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67287 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/20/2001 12:37 AM
Recommendations: 4
Wow! I can't believe the support I've been given since I posted my original message. Thank you all so much.

Today, I finally changed my Internet access to a Debit card instead of a credit card-something I've been saying for months I was going to do. That was the only new charge on my cards for at least a year-now there are none.

I dl'd the snowball calculator-now, I did this from an old computer at work with an antique modem-had to find this site and the link-that was determination. LOL It took forever. What a great tool that is! I played around with it for a long time. I picked a small balance cc to use as #1. Around $500.00-and that's small for me. All my interest rates are sky high, so that doesn't come into play. I need to see a 0 balance. I got so into it, I was like-bring on the bills-I want to pay something! LOL I can't believe how fast I can get this card paid off with just a little extra-and little is all I have right now. I am ashamed to admit that I've been paying on this card for 10 years-paying the minimum only and sometimes late at that. I can't believe what an idiot I've been.

One great thing contacting CCCS did for me was make me fill out a budget. Would you believe that in March I spent $900.00 on groceries?? Yes, I said $900.00. I was shocked! That's what happens when you run in willy-nilly with no list or coupons and just buy whatever you see. That figure is coming down-I mean way down and maybe I can get that first card paid off even sooner!

These are baby steps, I know, but it's a start and more than I've done in years to fix this mess. I wouldn't even add up how much I owed-I just didn't want to know.

Again, thank you so much for all the support and I love reading the success stories! I already feel so much better about myself. I'm finally doing something!

I'll try not to be so windy in the future-I'm just excited! :-)

Author: termagant Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67288 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/20/2001 12:46 AM
Susan,

You are doing such a great job! We love reading all the success stories. Excitement and windiness really helps keep your momentum going, doesn't it?

Author: abundantlife Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67349 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/20/2001 1:23 PM
Susan!!

CONGRATS on your awesome attitude! Remember that you are never alone! This board has picked up my spirits many a time, and given me the courage (sometimes in the form of a kick to the hiney ;) to keep going.

Cheers, and Fool On!!
Abundantlife

Author: ScrapinBy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67373 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/20/2001 3:16 PM

Susan,

30K in the hole is about where I started.

Two things have really helped me a ton.

1. Snowball Calculator - It let's you take Control
2. Online Banking - No more late fees or overdrafts

Hang in there.

Bret

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67399 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/20/2001 4:35 PM
These are baby steps, I know, but it's a start and more than I've done in years to fix this mess. I wouldn't even add up how much I owed-I just didn't want to know.

Again, thank you so much for all the support and I love reading the success stories! I already feel so much better about myself. I'm finally doing something!

Hi Susan!

Baby steps or giant steps--doesn't matter. What does matter is that you're taking steps at all, and that you've become motivated to address your finances in such a Foolish manner.

You've discovered that there is a way out, and I'm happy to see that you've discovered how much fun the entire process can be! :-)

Keep it up!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Slovell920 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67530 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/21/2001 8:03 PM
Susan

U can do it. We can help even more if you post your info so we can get a strategy together.

Keep us posted.

Sean

Author: Susan2323 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67544 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/22/2001 12:20 AM
U can do it. We can help even more if you post your info so we can get a strategy together.

Thank you Sean. Please understand when I say I'm just not comfortable in doing that right now. I'm really new to the board, but mainly it's because of the amount of spam email I'm getting since I posted here. Not from other posters, but offers of consolidation, fast money, another credit card (yeah, boy, that's just what I need). Also, messages like "living beyond your means" which sounded extremely smug to me-I'm not quite ready to open myself up to that type of attitude. I've made a lot of stupid mistakes, but I don't need anyone pointing them out to me-I'm trying to be positive and move forward. I can't go back and fix them, I can only learn from them.

Maybe later when I'm a little more comfortable sharing private details. Again, please understand.

Author: RepoWoman Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67606 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/22/2001 6:42 PM
Thank you Sean. Please understand when I say I'm just not comfortable in doing that right now. I'm really new to the board, but mainly it's because of the amount of
spam email I'm getting since I posted here. Not from other posters, but offers of consolidation, fast money, another credit card (yeah, boy, that's just what I need).
Also, messages like "living beyond your means" which sounded extremely smug to me-I'm not quite ready to open myself up to that type of attitude. I've made a lot
of stupid mistakes, but I don't need anyone pointing them out to me-I'm trying to be positive and move forward. I can't go back and fix them, I can only learn from
them.

Susan, I know Sean would agree that it is perfectly fine to limit the information you share with the board if that's what's comfortable for you. Financial information is sensitive, personal information. Personally, I choose to be here anonymously because otherwise I would be too worried about people I know in the outside world over-hearing my information or some of my thoughts and feelings about money and finances. Even with the pseudonym, there are areas I choose not to get into.

As for the smug posts, I think we all agree that unsupportive, hurtful posts are not constructive. I believe they are usually unintentional, and they are the exception rather than the rule. Still though, I am sorry a recent unsupportive post made you feel less like sharing.

I am also interested in what you said about the spam. I have not received any of the spam others have mentioned. I use a special email account for Fool material, and I haven't received anything in there other than official messages from TMF or personal replies to my posts from other fools. Have alot of you experienced this? I wonder if it's something that starts all at once and then escalates as your email address gets passed around.
-RW

Author: eslovick Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67609 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/22/2001 7:17 PM
I am also interested in what you said about the spam. I have not received any of the spam others have mentioned. I use a special email account for Fool material, and I haven't received anything in there other than official messages from TMF or personal replies to my posts from other fools. Have alot of you experienced this?

I get a lot of spam on one of my email accounts, but not at the one that my TMF stuff goes to. Some of them are funny, but they get kind of repetitive.

Beth

Author: AHOLLYS Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67614 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 4/22/2001 8:17 PM
I am also interested in what you said about the spam. I have not received any of the spam others have mentioned. I use a special email account for Fool material, and I haven't received anything in there other than official messages from TMF or personal replies to my posts from other fools. Have alot of you experienced this? I wonder if it's something that starts all at once and then escalates as your email address gets passed around.
-RW

I get a ton of spam about debt/bankruptcy/refinance/HEL etc. But at ALL of my e-mail address. It's not localized to the acocunt attached to MF. Just my observation !!

Ho-Lo

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90320 of 308484
Subject: Re: I can do this, too! Date: 9/6/2001 4:21 PM
Not long ago I posted my first message. I am $30,000 in CC debt. I thought when I told you that, I would get answers saying "file BK" or "throw in the towel-it's hopeless". Not only did I not get those answers, but you were telling me I could fix this. Right. I called CCCS and made an appointment and they sent the paperwork. I didn't like what I read. I felt they would be in too much control of my life. BUT, as I filled the papers out, for the first time in a long time, I got a good look at my expenses and saw many places I can cut back. Then I came back to this message board and read and read and read. Not only are some of you in more debt than I am (or you were) which I didn't think was possible, but you are paying it off! You are such an inspiration! I can do this, too.

Yes Susan!!

You're right! You can do this, and with your attitude, I've no doubt that you WILL do it. You've got the desire, you've got the determination, and you've already begun to find solutions. That's outstanding!

And as you've seen by Radio's post, it's in your reach!

We're here for you and ready to celebrate each milestone. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement