Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19366  
Subject: Re: Which basket? Date: 3/21/2013 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I can only tell you what I have done and it works for me. Unfortunately, I do not have a ROTH...just a regular IRA. Only once did I take funds from the IRA because I read some idiot's advice that you should draw down the IRA first. NOT. I paid taxes on what I withdrew and never took out another penny until I was forced to do my RMD.

I withdraw only from my taxable account which is invested in very conservative dividend bearing stocks. Many many moons ago, I had $xxx,xxx in the taxable account. I have been able to pay cash for cars, pay for house repairs, GK's college stuff, etc. Today, the market is up, and although I have drawn down a lot of money from the taxable account, it is worth more than ever. The only funds removed from my IRA are RMD funds, after taxes for FIT and SIT. Those funds go into my taxable account and I can use them now as I see fit.

My IRA has some bonds left, but no way can they be replaced for the interest rates they had. So, again, I buy very conservative dividend bearing equities in the IRA also. Over the years, the IRA has increased in value, in spite of the RMD withdrawals.

I do have an annuity of sorts...I am lucky enough to have a pension. That is the only annuity I would ever have. I took out SS at age 60, allowable to widows and plus I thought I was going to die after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Doc made a mistake...not stage 4, but stage 1!! Good reason to have second opinions;). But if you think you will live long, and you seem to think you will, delay SS as long as you can. Invest what you have conservatively with dividend bearing stocks is my advice.

Birgit
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement