Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: oncqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5021  
Subject: Re: On Reinventing Yourself Date: 9/26/2012 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I can see from the change in her tone that it would all seem to have been a bit of a deliberate attempt to deceive you. It may be perhaps that that long pause had nothing to do with the previous relationship with your sig, but rather she was wondering if you would know about various other fiascos in her past, or she was embarassed that she did not remember you. There may be several other factors, as well:

1. She may just be confused or was too stoned to remember who did what. My parents once told me that years later, a teacher I had never dealt with at all in high school took credit for "pulling me out of my shyness." Did she mix me up with someone else? Or was it a deliberate attempt to take credit?

2. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some of the more "popular" kids may have a ton of insecurities underneath, and a small moment of kindness at a vulnerable moment could have had a big impact to her, but was such a small thing that he did not even register it.

3. It may have been an attempt to reassure you that she was not after your sig; "he was like a big brother to me" may be intended as "I have zero interest, don't look at me as a threat." I think some women do that to reassure others. I don't know if that is only if they get funny vibes, or it's people who have themselves had boyfriends targeted/stalked by previous acquaintences, or what, but I think it is not uncommon.

We are all revisionist to some degree about our past; no grownup introduces themselves by saying, "I used to eat my intranasal contents."
I would try to move past it, and be a bit watchful for other hints of sneakiness in the future.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement