UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zee1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5741  
Subject: Re: I'm 25, and just inherited $500,000 +Please Date: 7/30/1999 1:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I can see that you have received a lot of good information here.

I would add that you should sit down with your fiancee and decide what your goals are in life. Really explore what is important to the two of you and WRITE IT DOWN. Sorry for the shouting but it is important to have a written plan so you both agree what it is that's important.

Once you both have agreed with the plan, then it should be much simpler to figure out how to implement it. Remember, "If you aim at nothing, that is what you will surely hit".

I would say you want to get 2 or more opinions from certified financial planners, check out their web site or the yellow pages for possible referals.

I agree that going to friends for advice, when it is their job, may not be the best thing. You will put a lot of pressure on them to separate their friendship from their job. On the other hand, once you have a plan and know what you want to do, then you could approach them with what it is you want to do. Remember, if you change your lifestyle they will notice and then this can raise other issues with them.

As to understanding how money works, I would reccomend a good book to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", sorry I can't remember the author, I have lent my copy out.

Also, check out the possible tax ramifications of investing in mutual funds that may be about to issue capital gains distributions.

Another concept to understand is dollar cost averaging - this fits with the idea of do not make quick decisions. Park the money in a money market fund and do incremental purchasing over time as you decide on your investment strategy.

I don't want to get too long winded, as you can see, there are many issues here, take your time, park the money and make your plans.

Good luck,
Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement