Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: Fractional Shares & Splits: Accounting For Date: 8/2/2000 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I cannot do the "triple the number of shares and take 1/3 of the cost" to these two lots, because I end up with 0.6876 shares too many (which is the part not "given" to me in the split, but instead paid in cash to me).

After thinking about this for a bit, I find that I need to question your assumptions. I'm guessing that this isn't exactly a hypothecital question -- this is a real transaction (with somewhat disguised/simplified figures). AFIK, the only way to have fractional shares in a stock (other than a mutual fund) it to be in a dividend reinvestment plan. The question - are you sure your DRIP wouldn't also do the 3:1 split on the fractional shares? This would, of course, eliminate the problem. I guess what I'm saying is that I see you getting either: A) 180 shares (the 90 * 2) with 1.6876 shares paid in cash (for the two fractional lots) or B) 181.6876 shares - 2 * all of your shares including fractions.

Next - I doubt if Schwab will deal with the fractional shares from a DRIP - it's usually only the company that is willing to take on the problems of fractional shares. Are your problems explaining the situation to them related to their inability to deal with fractional shares?

Sorry for the non-answer answer. I just got more questions the more I thought about it.

--Peter

PS - In my ongoing attempt to sharpen my crystal ball skills, you wouldn't happen to be in the engineering field, would you?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement