Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ascalon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: Re: if i were a guy vishnu Date: 11/29/2001 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I cannot tell you the number of times I've thrown an idea on the table only to have it land with a dull thud. That is, until it comes back in its exact form a couple of weeks later out of the mouth of someone else (male person on boss good boy list) and lifted up and treated like the Holy Grail.

<delurk>

Take heart, it happens to me all the time. All bosses are the same and I suspect I was just as guilty of pulling ideas 'out of the ether' when I was in charge, although I tried really really hard not to be. Actually, I insisted on fully worked out ideas being submitted in writing, partly to overcome this but also partly because ideas are a dime a dozen, several people *do* come up with the same thing at once and yet it's still only hard work that makes them into reality.

I think getting ideas implemented is one of those 'managing your manager' things. I ask myself the question, do I want the result or do I want credit for a good idea? Or do I actually want credit for the work I put in rather than the brainwave? Go for results and let everyone pat themselves on the back for your genius. But don't forget to remind them how smart they are once in a while--particularly for employing you!

Ascalon (wasn't here, doesn't read this board)

</delurk>
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement