No. of Recommendations: 0
I can't seem to copy and paste your message, but on the subject of setting up education accounts for kids, this is what I did for three grandchildren. It's called an Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA), and with it's intended use for college, will belong to them at age 18 even if they choose not to go to college.

The accounts are set up in the childrens' names, and are handled by my discount broker who also handles my IRA. I am the custodian, but one of the children's parents could be the custodian. I have named the parents as successor custodians.

My son pays the income taxes on these accounts.

I can add up to $10,000./ year to each of these accounts. Only the custodian can add to the accounts.

Setting up an UGMA is much easier than than setting up a trust to fund a college education.

I hope this helps.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.