UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BergenDog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2247  
Subject: Re: The Myth of Socially Responsible Investing Date: 8/10/2005 5:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I concede the point that a Socially Responsible Index fund is kind of dumb, being that no human being is 100% Socially Responsible (by virtue of being alive we pollute), and I would seriously doubt that any companies on earth are as well.

In my mind, however, SR Investing is more about an individual's personal choices. It can't be applied across the board, it can't be transferred or pushed onto another person, and it certainly cannot remain stagnant. If one chooses to draw some lines in the sand, those lines need to be constantly re-evaluated to make sure they are still valid and that companies on both sides of the line are in there proper areas.

What intrigues me more is whether an individual can be considered a hypocrite for removing all emotion and sense of "morals" from investing. Is it just about dollars and cents? How far removed from the perceived atrocities does one need to be before the blood washes off? If I buy Rule Breakers pick Blue Nile (diamond seller) knowing from first-hand knowledge about the neo-slave trade that exists in African countries which is propogated by the Diamond Industry, am I as vile as the people that hack off the limbs of children in order to restore order in the mining towns? After all, I am giving them my money in order to support their business.

However, I am also an investor in Apple Computer. If it turns out that Apple computer routinely kills puppies in order to use their blood to make iPods, but I didn't know about it.... am I innocent? Ok, that got a bit ridiculous, but hidden among the gore is the point: does my knowledge of the atrocity remove any shroud of innocence?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions. I've decided not to buy Blue Nile. That is also a major point: no one forces me to buy anything, it's up to me. But, I guess the real question here is "How much am I loosing out because I have hang-ups about the industry?" Am I foolish (lowercase f) to not make money where and when I can? Afterall, I invest to make money, not to fix the world.

Sean

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement