Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I contributed $3000 to my Roth back in March or April, for 2004. How do I recharacterize it, if necessary? It's with ETrade, and I did not put this year's $3K in a separate account; I added it to an existing Roth.

How do I deal with any earnings/losses on the money? Must I recharacterize them as well?

You will have to work with ETrade. You will have to transfer some (or all) of your Roth contribution to a traditional non-deductible IRA. You will have to calculate how much earnings/loss are attached to the amount you are recharacterizing and move that amount as well.

*possibly related question: I could probably easily offset another $3000 of income with capital losses, either short- or long-term. Which do I use to offset regular income? If I have both long-term and short-term losses, but no gains to offset those losses (because of course I prefer to hold my winners), what do I do with the losses that cannot be used to offset regular income?

Any excess losses beyond the $3000 you can deduct against regular income will be carried forward to future years. You will be able to offset $3000 of net losses each year until all of your losses are used.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.