Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I contributed to IRA accounts for my wife and myself early in a prior year. I then sold stock at the end of that year that put our AGI over the limit for such contributions but forgot to remove the funds.

Rather than dealing in hypotheticals, let's try to nail down exactly what happened. As long as between you you had $4,000 of taxable compensation for the year in question and were both under 70 1/2, you were allowed $4,000 in IRA contributions of some sort. So:

1. When were the contributions made, and for how much?

2. For what tax year were they made?

3. What type of IRA (traditional or Roth)

4. What makes you think they were unallowable?

5. How did you report the contributions, if at all, on your return for the year in question?

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.