Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I converted a traditional IRA in 12/98. Can I "unconvert" or recharacterize it back to the traditional IRA now?

No. The deadline for recharacterizing 1998 conversions was 12/31/1999. The deadline for recharacterizing 1999 conversions was 10/16/2000. The deadline for recharacterizing 2000 conversions will be 10/15/2001, etc. They extended the deadline for 1998 conversions, but not for later years.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.