Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I converted a traditional IRA to a Roth in 1998 and chose to spread the taxes over 4 years. If the conversion portion for 1999 causes my AGI to go over $150,000 will that prevent me from contributing to a Roth for 1999?

You actually use a modified AGI for the eligibility test on Roth contributions. I remember from previous discussions that converted amounts were not used in the MAGI calc for the conversion test. I think that they are also excluded for the annual contribution test. Anybody know for sure?

--ptheland <== killing time at home waiting for a bug-free Y2K
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.