Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I cook salmon at least once a week so I am always looking for new ideas.

this year I've started fixing "packet salmon"--salmon baked in parchment.

JAPANESE SALMON PACKEt
On a piece of parchment 8-12" square, place a salmon filet, 1/2 tsp sesame oil (I like Kadoya), a thinly sliced shiitake mushroom, a little chopped scallion or a couple of thin slices of shallot and maybe a little minced or pressed garlic and/or grated ginger root, 1/2 tsp soy sauce or coconut aminos, and a sprinkle of hot Japanese pepper. Optional splash of mirin, sake, or rice vinegar. Fold or roll up the packet horizontally, then tuck the sides under. Bake at 400F for 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish.

MEDItERANNEAN SALMON PACKEt
On the salmon fillet, add 1/2-1 tsp flavorful olive oil and two or more of the following: a little chopped tomato or sun-dried tomato, a couple of sliced kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley and/or basil and/or fresh or dried oregano, minced garlic and/or thinly sliced shallot.

INDIAN SALMON PACKEt
Add a dab of coconut oil, thinly sliced shallot and/or garlic and/or grated ginger, 1-2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk, 1 tsp curry powder or equivalent amount of curry spices. Serve with a little chopped cilantro.

SCANDINAVIAN SALMON PACKEt
Add olive oil, thinly sliced onion or shallot, capers, fresh dill, s&p. I think sour cream would work, but I haven't tried it in the packet yet.

FRENCH SALMON PACKEt
Add a pat of butter, thinly sliced fennel bulb, thinly sliced shallot, a lemon slice.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've never bought (and perhaps never eaten) anchovies so tell me more about it!

I almost always add capers when I pan-fry fish. I never get tired of pan-fried fish in butter w/capers, fresh dill, fresh lemon and often chopped/slivered/sliced toasted almonds. I started out doing trout that way, but soon realized it's just as good for anything. Although I usually bake cod with a thin slick of mayo and a mix of almond meal & bread crumbs (back in the 70s, I learned the trick of crushed ritz over mayo for baked fish...the ritz morphed to bread crumbs and then a bread crumb mix).

I also make a quick chowder w/3/4 haddock, when I can get it (but usually cod cause I can't-) and 1/4 scallops, which I slice in half or thirds horizontally.

I eat fish ~3x a week...more fish than poultry or meat! I'm having fish 4x this week...pan-fried salmon for dinner on Monday, leftover salmon over salad the next day, sushi for lunch today, and Greek baked shrimp for dinner on the weekend.

One of my most memorable ever meals was bouillabaisse in Arles, Provence.
I've never bought (and perhaps never eaten) anchovies so tell me more about it!

Anchovies are small oily fish (similar to herring) that are cured and then usually packed in salt and oil in tins or jars.

They are fishy and salty -- and delicious!!!

If you've ever used Worcestershire sauce or had Caesar salad or olive tapenade, you might have had some anchovies without knowing it. They also are in a lot of Italian sauces and salad dressings.

They pretty much melt when you put them into something hot but add a lot of flavor.

I used anchovy butter with the cod but it's good on its own too.

Lots of folks like them on pizza.

Here's a good article which has some suggestions in it:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/what-to-do-with-anchovies...

BTW - anchovies have a lot of health benefits as well. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acid.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-anchovies-27...

Just remember that if they're cured and packed in salt, they have a very high sodium content - but a little goes a long way!

Try them!

Christina
Hi Christina,

It's nice to see you posting about fish. Reminds me what an excellent cook you are.

I used anchovy butter with the cod but it's good on its own too.

Would you please share how you prepare your anchovy butter? What form do you buy anchovies in? I very occasionally buy it in tube form which I still end up tossing due to age and my infrequent use of this fish. I'm looking to utilize anchovies more often now.

Bill
thx, Christina. Do you have a favorite brand of anchovies?

SPEAKING OF FISH
I gave all the leftover baked Greek shrimp to mom and bro, and forgot to thaw the planned chicken wingettes, so I made curried crab for dinner today.

Sauteed shallots, a jalapeno, some garlic & ginger root, and added some thinly sliced red bell pepper, julienned carrot, and a small bunch of broccoli rabe. then stirred in a tablespoon of Mae Ploy green curry paste, a small box of Aroy D full fat coconut milk, half a jar of lump crab meat, a little Red Boat fish sauce. When I turned off the heat, I stirred in lots of chopped mint, basil, and cilantro.

It's delicious! I'm going out to lunch tomorrow and the hubster will get the leftovers. I bet his lunch beats mine ;-)

the rest of the crab will end up in a breakfast omelet or quiche this week.

seafood...my favorite dinner!
What form do you buy anchovies in?

Hi, Bill! Good to see you too (and thanks for the compliment).

I buy anchovy fillets in oil - in either a tin or jar. I also buy anchovy paste in the tube -- which is what I think you referred to.

Would you please share how you prepare your anchovy butter?

Here is the original recipe:

In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter; 4 minced garlic cloves; 8 anchovies packed in oil, drained and minced; 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika; 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and kosher salt to taste. Mix well but do not beat.

You can then either (a) just put the bowl (covered) in the fridge and use it by the spoonful once it firms up or (b) you can spread it on plastic wrap and use the wrap to roll the butter into a log. Put it in the fridge and when it's hardened, you can cut pats from the log.

When I'm going to use it to saute fish, I use garlic powder instead of minced garlic (but be sure NOT to use garlic salt!) And then I use it in its softened form (without refrigerating it).

I sometimes use salted butter and eliminate the kosher salt. I also often leave out the paprika or use a few drops of hot sauce. I also usually use fresh lime juice instead of lemon juice.

In place of the minced anchovies, you can use anchovy paste (from the tube).

You can make other "compound butters" the same way - e.g. softened butter, minced garlic and minced rosemary (or any other herb you like). Experiment!!!

Christina
Do you have a favorite brand of anchovies?

Not really. Right now I have a tin of Roland's flat anchovy fillets in the cupboard and a tube of Roland's anchovy paste in the fridge.

But (unlike canned tuna fish), I don't think that there is a big difference among the brands.

Christina
I cook salmon at least once a week so I am always looking for new ideas.

this year I've started fixing "packet salmon"--salmon baked in parchment.

JAPANESE SALMON PACKEt
On a piece of parchment 8-12" square, place a salmon filet, 1/2 tsp sesame oil (I like Kadoya), a thinly sliced shiitake mushroom, a little chopped scallion or a couple of thin slices of shallot and maybe a little minced or pressed garlic and/or grated ginger root, 1/2 tsp soy sauce or coconut aminos, and a sprinkle of hot Japanese pepper. Optional splash of mirin, sake, or rice vinegar. Fold or roll up the packet horizontally, then tuck the sides under. Bake at 400F for 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish.

MEDItERANNEAN SALMON PACKEt
On the salmon fillet, add 1/2-1 tsp flavorful olive oil and two or more of the following: a little chopped tomato or sun-dried tomato, a couple of sliced kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley and/or basil and/or fresh or dried oregano, minced garlic and/or thinly sliced shallot.

INDIAN SALMON PACKEt
Add a dab of coconut oil, thinly sliced shallot and/or garlic and/or grated ginger, 1-2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk, 1 tsp curry powder or equivalent amount of curry spices. Serve with a little chopped cilantro.

SCANDINAVIAN SALMON PACKEt
Add olive oil, thinly sliced onion or shallot, capers, fresh dill, s&p. I think sour cream would work, but I haven't tried it in the packet yet.

FRENCH SALMON PACKEt
Add a pat of butter, thinly sliced fennel bulb, thinly sliced shallot, a lemon slice.
Advertisement