UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: Re: What is a home theater? Date: 11/3/2012 1:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I couldn't tell you what our first TV was. I do remember it had a wooden box, and I think it had legs to stand on its own. Rabbit ears at first, and then we got an OUTSIDE antenna! (ooooooh!)

I'm pretty sure it was color, but a lot of programming then was b/w. When it was color they announced it proudly just before the show started..."Get Smart! IN COLOR!" The NBC peacock used to do it's little flourish to announce color also (I don't remember now if they printed the words, or if it was just the peacock getting its colored feathers).

We had four or five channels. The three networks, plus a local independent, and PBS (I used to watch Sesame Street and Electric Company, so I know we got PBS). I remember watching "Mod Squad", "Star Trek", "Get Smart", "Mission Impossible", and Looney Tunes and Roadrunner. And Vietnam whenever it interrupted my cartoons (a good way to infuriate a 7 yr old).

The first TV I got to myself was an 8" Sony b/w. I didn't have to watch what the old people wanted anymore! Of course, even with UHF the selection was extremely limited. I also got an RCA turntable all for me! It was a compact unit. You opened the hinged speakers, and then the turntable would fold down. You could detach the speakers and place them a few feet apart for separation. That was so cool!

As a teen we got our first VCR. Top-loading, about the size of a carry-on bag today (maybe a little bigger). As a reward for helping with the puppies (our dog had a litter) I was given a Hitachi combo unit. I was 15 or 16. Turntable and cassette player under a hinged plastic top cover, and an 8-track and AM/FM radio accessible from the front. I could record onto the cassette from any of the other sources (which was neat). My dad, when giving it to me, held it up and said "like an airplane cockpit!". Yeah, sure, Dad. Had that at least 5 or 6 years until I got my first component...a Pioneer SX6 (I was in college by then). My TV was a hand-me-down from the old people. Don't remember what it was. No remote. Cable ready, but I had no cable. Just rabbit ears. Had that until it died sometime in grad school.

My RX-V670 was my first HT-capable beast. Got that 15 years ago(??). Had to get speakers to go with it, then! Enter my SM62s....and then my SM center....

I've been enhancing my HT ever since. :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement