Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CashPhlo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 682  
Subject: Re: Owens Corning Date: 1/28/2003 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently hold Owens Corning and I am wondering if there is any reason to hold onto it or if I should just unload.

I can't speak specifically about Owens-Corning because I know very little about it. But I would recommend that if I were having trouble deciding whether or not to hold the stock or sell it, here is what I would do:

What were the reasons you bought the stock in the first place?

If you don't have the reasons written down anywhere, it's probably a good idea to do so. If the fundamentals of the company have changed for the worse since you bought the stock, that's a clear signal to sell. Otherwise, you might want to hold onto the stock.

Don't factor in your purchase price.

This is one area that I always struggle with. I hate to sell a stock and take a loss because it may come back. But unfortunately, even though it is only on paper, a loss is a loss. The market doesn't care where you bought the stock, it only cares about the price now. Therefore, you have to pay attention to the stock price going forward, not looking backward.

It's always best to do your own due diligence for any stock you own because even if someone here gave you their opinion on Owens, it may not fit in with your own investment strategy.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Good Luck,

CashPhlo
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement