Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23033  
Subject: Re: CANSLIM track records? Date: 11/30/2010 8:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I did fairly well several years ago using CANSLIM. However, it was extremely time consuming. Now I use Mechanical Investing, with Fasttrack and FastBreak.

Yes, the Fools held in a model portfolio a stock, 3COM, for a near double and then eventually sold it for a loss. After that, I paid no attention.

You need a buy discipline and a sell discipline, no matter what your method. So far at the 8% rule is concerned, it only applies if you buy at a CANSLIM buy point. If, for example, there is a cup and handle and you get in at the pivot point, the theory is that the rally fails if it goes down 8% from the buy point.

Some people say that CANSLIM only applies to small investors. A mutual fund has to make large buys and sells; hence it tends to move the market too much to get in and out at the optimal points. It is certainly true that is is more difficult to trade a $100 million portfolio of 20 stocks than a $1 million portfolio of 20 stocks.

Take a look at a list of stocks with allegedly good fundamentals. I say "allegedly" because it is very difficult to know such things. While you may look at the balance sheet and say that everything is good, you also have to know whether or not the companies products will be in demand, and that is much more difficult than financial analysis.

Anyway, look at that list, and see what happens if you buy and sell at the (8,32) moving average crossover. Then look at the 21 day moving average for buy and sell points. See how that works out and try other numbers as well. Remember, this is the selection part of the process. The other part is timing: Do you want to be in the market at all?

This has been a very volatile and frustrating market. There is a lot of fear: fear that you should not be in the market, and fear that you should not be out. Crazy days.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement