UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 440  
Subject: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/19/2007 9:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I went to a funeral today and the strangest thing happened. After the priest consecrated the host(s), he came off the altar and stood by the coffin with the chalice containing the hosts. He was holding one host up, and I thought he was muttering under his breath (but I was kind of far away). He stood there for a minute or two, and then he turned around, went back up the steps and put the chalice and hosts back in the tabernacle. He proceeded to finish mass, and give the final blessing to the deceased. At which point, one of her sons said something to him, and then they exchanged words for a moment. The priest then said to the congregation "I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding about communion. The priest offers himself to those who present themselves to receive. He does not invite the congregation to take communion." He said it a couple of times, but was finally prevailed upon to go back to the tabernacle, get the chalice and hosts and give communion.

I don't go to Mass every week (my bad), but I probably go every 4 - 6 weeks, and I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. We always have ushers who kind of direct you that it's your turn. I don't remember learning this in Catholic school, but that was a looooooooooooong time ago. Is this familiar to anyone else?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 424 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/20/2007 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
That's a new one on me. While I go to church darn near every week, I'm by no means a scholar. CCD was as close I got to Catholic school.

You either have communion, or you don't. The priest doesn't usually tease the congregation.

I would have thought that if he's not passing out the free food, then the priest could at least burn a little incense for the crowd.

Invited or not, I would think that if he's consecrated the host, then he's availing himself to distribute. Did he feel that the deceased was the only good Catholic in the church?

On the other hand, I haven't heard of a priest being heckelled into giving out communion either.

Mike

Author: PB2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 425 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/20/2007 2:45 PM
We always have ushers who kind of direct you that it's your turn. I don't remember learning this in Catholic school, but that was a looooooooooooong time ago. Is this familiar to anyone else?

==+==+==+==+

While it has been a while since I was to a funeral mass, from the desciption that is what this was, it should be obvious when the host is available to the congregation. I have not seen ushers used to direct the congregation to communion since I was a young'un in the Detroit diocese, and I have been in several since then.

PB2

Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 426 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/20/2007 2:48 PM
Yay, but I do go to church on a semi-regular basis, and believe me it was NOT obvious.

Author: crocket838 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 427 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/20/2007 6:14 PM
He was holding one host up, and I thought he was muttering under his breath (but I was kind of far away). He stood there for a minute or two, and then he turned around, went back up the steps and put the chalice and hosts back in the tabernacle. He proceeded to finish mass, and give the final blessing to the deceased. At which point, one of her sons said something to him, and then they exchanged words for a moment. The priest then said to the congregation "I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding about communion. The priest offers himself to those who present themselves to receive. He does not invite the congregation to take communion."

Do the sons go to church?

Plenty of times, the parents are the "good" Catholics and the children have lapsed. Maybe they weren't sure on what to do? The rest of the mourners are waiting on the family to go first.
When my uncle died, even tho he didn't go to church on a regular basis, his sons had a funeral mass for him. The priest did look a little perturbed when none of them received communion, but the rest of us did go up.

Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 428 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/20/2007 6:29 PM
I don't know if they are regular churchgoers or not. I suppose the priest might have been a little perturbed. The family occupied the front 3 pews on either side. There were only about 5 other people there, including me, and we were all in the back. Even so, I couldn't hear anyone, other than myself, doing any of the responses -- you know "thanks be to god" the "Our Father" -- nothing.

Author: 6Bitsadollar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 429 of 440
Subject: Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date: 3/24/2007 11:24 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<<<I don't know if they are regular churchgoers or not. I suppose the priest might have been a little perturbed. The family occupied the front 3 pews on either side. There were only about 5 other people there, including me, and we were all in the back. Even so, I couldn't hear anyone, other than myself, doing any of the responses -- you know "thanks be to god" the "Our Father" -- nothing. >>>>

I think you have it about figured out. The priest was probably expecting the family to immediately stand up and get in line to receive.
It sounds like they expected to receive or else they won't have had the priest return with the chalice and wafers. This is really strange sounding.
The problem is that the relatives were probably upset and not thinking all that well--especially the immediate family. We had a service for my mom a few months ago and I remember how hard it was to sit on the very front. And this was in a parish where I spent much of my own life, although I attend another parish now. I was not doing a good job of following the liturgy myself.

I think this just happened because there were few people other than the family there. With a larger congregation, there might have been more rustling of people standing up to go receive which would have alerted the family that it was time.

Molly

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement