Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
I did some work for my parents business over the last year and they paid me $2400. I didn't get a W-2 or any other statement from them. They're deducting it as a professional services expense. How should I report this income?
=== === ===
Self-employment income -- that is what the $2400 is -- should always be reported on Schedule C. You can knock off any expenses to produce that income, and you will then fill out Schedule SE to figure the Self-Employment tax. Plus you will pay the regular tax on your net SE income. See p. 6 of IRS Publication for filing requirements, and get the instructions for Schedules C and SE for all the details.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.