No. of Recommendations: 0
I did tape the worst crack, a stress crack above the door. When I started painting the primer, I noticed the crack showing through again - I have sanded and coated and sanded about 4 times over that crack, so I'm just leaving it at this point. (I know, not the best solution, but it's what I'm doing). The other cracks were really small, and the joint compound that I used will suffice.

I bought the Kilz from Home Depot and Lowe's and bought the paint from Sherwin Williams. I guess they'd tint the primer if I took it to them, but it just seemed a bit too much trouble. Since the paint color is a medium tone, it will probably be ok.

About the number of coats: are you saying that you'd probably use 2 coats of paint regardless of the # of coats of primer? What if I did 2 coats of primer, would one coat of paint be enough in that situation? Especially for the trim work, I'd rather not have to do all of it twice if possible, but I'm open to advice and experience of others.

I read somewhere else that since Kilz is designed to make paint adhere, it has a slight stickiness to it, so it's best to get the paint over it as soon as possible, or it could attract dust. Is that true, in your experience?

I've been using a 5 gallon bucket, and a small paint cup for a brush, and it just seems as if the paint is drying out quickly and getting gummy. Maybe it's partly the weather, it's been dry and fairly warm outside. I'll try to keep it closed up better.

I have learned the freezer trick and LOVE IT! Especially since there's nothing else in the freezer at this house, it works so well. I also read a tip about using fabric softener and Dawn on the paint brushes, and plan on giving that a try.

Thanks for the tips, it feels good just to be finally getting to the painting part. You're right about the instant gratification of seeing the cleaned up walls.

Rita
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement