No. of Recommendations: 1
I didn't know that. I searched the Internet, but could not find anything preventing this.

That's probably because you searched for what is not allowed instead of what *is* allowed. The IRS rules tell you what you can/must do. They don't list all the millions of other things that you are forbidden from doing.

If your spouse is non-working, under the age of 70 1/2, and your combined income is below the joint AGI limit, what stops your spouse from making a contribution into an IRA or Roth IRA?

Not all income qualifies for IRA contribution.
Your total IRA/ROTH contributions are limited to your joint wages (W-2 income). Not all income qualifies for IRA contribution. The money you withdraw from an IRA -- including an RMD withdrawal -- is not wages, so it doesn't count.

This is quite clearly set out in the IRS publications. So I don't understand your comment about "could not find anything preventing this." https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2017_publink100... Table 1-1.

BTW, there is nothing magic about RMDs. The RMD is like its name says, Required Minimum Distribution (withdrawal). It is just a withdrawal. And as a side note, only the amount of your withdrawal above the RMD can be converted to a ROTH.

And note that the "I" in "IRA" stands for "Individual". Which means that any RMD or Roth conversion must be for each spouse and cannot be merged or mixed. You can't convert money from your IRA into your spouse's Roth.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement