UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744097  
Subject: Re: How Capitalism Can Save Art Date: 10/8/2012 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I didn't have time for those kinds of shenanigans. I was too busy working and taking classes. I worked on the weekends on Bill Moore's Dairy Farm and during the week when I wasn't in class I worked at the Tobacco Laboratory at USDA Russell Research Center. My boss was Dr. Fred Haeberer. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive? I was just a kid. My freshman year I worked downstairs in the Food Science Building in the abattoir.

I had a work-study job... with the campus police (lol)! In fact I started working for the campus police as a "Student Assistant Field Employee" (SAFEs they called us, student interns basically) before I started taking classes. I applied during summer orientations, got hired, got to move into the residence hall early and was out on the Diag registering bikes for an event called FestiFall before classes started.

My main job was to work "Union Access". The Michigan Union is the main student commons building on campus. On weekends many events were held there, mostly by the Black Greek Association because they didn't have the huge frat houses that the "traditional" frats had around campus (not on campus, none of them were or are on campus thankfully!) so they held their parties in the Union's ballroom. These parties would attract a lot of "non-affiliates" (non-students who would drive in from Ypsi or Detroit mainly) and every now and again there was violence so a rule was instituted where if you were a non-affiliate you had to be signed in by a UofM student, staff or faculty member. They could only sign in two people each. We'd have booths at the doors and we'd check everyone's ID entering the building, making them sign in with someone if they weren't affiliated. Once they were in they'd usually get wristbands for entrance into the dance/party so we'd simply waive those people through. This was in the late 90's so it was all done by hand, on paper. This policy was in effect Friday and Saturday nights so that's when I worked, every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm to 1:30am.

Yeah, it sort of put a damper on my social life. I never went to a frat party, went to very few parties period (I worked that job for four of my five years as a student, until I started working full-time for the police and was working midnights so, again, wasn't partying!)

How did I have time for the College Republicans? Well, they did most of their meetings during the week. Due to a fluke there were a five conservatives all near each other in my freshman residence hall house, so we all joined up and ended up being roomates all through college. Of the few parties I did go to most were thrown by College Republican upperclassmen. We had our own broomball team (I was the goalie, got a shut-out one game then got wasted at the CR President's apartment afterwards!) and one of my roommates ended up being the group's Treasurer. In fact I was still on their e-mail list until just recently, lol!

I didn't do too many other extra-curriculars. I had season football and hockey tickets but I had to work at least two football games a year and most hockey games were Friday and Saturday nights so I sold/gave away most of my hockey tickets and a few football tickets. Never was at all interested in basketball (which was fine, our team was terrible when I was a student, still isn't top of the league.) I made most of my money during the summer, when I could work full-time (work-study limits the number of hours you can work while in school.)

As for Political Science, I never even took a Poli Sci class until my fourth year. I was originally a Microbiology major, so taking Poli Sci would have been useless as I was taking History classes already. It wasn't until I switched to History that I could fit Poli Sci into my schedule. I was always interested in the topic but more interested in others (biology, history and English were my favorites).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement