Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I disagree with Bob78164 #18993. If you look at IRS Publication 515, Table 1, you will see that the tax rates on all kinds of income vary with the citizenship of the recipient, according to tax treaties. Now, I am unclear on the implications of this. Suppose someone from Austria is here on a J-1 (Exchange Visitor) visa. Such a person is not a permanent resident (has no green card) but I don't know if he is a resident for tax purposes.

Yes, non-resident aliens are subject to withholding tax at a rate determined by their country of residence, or 30% if no lower rate has been determined.

Residency for tax purposes is not related to residency as defined by the INS. The IRS looks at the number of days you have been resident in the current year and the last two years (I think). Once you 'qualify' as resident for tax purposes you have to pay US tax on your worldwide income (you can claim a tax credit for tax paid in other countries that have tax treaties with the US). You'll note it is much easier to become resident in the IRS's opinion than to be accepted as resident by the INS.

Because tax residency is based on number of days physically in the US in a year, and other countries have both different calculations and different tax years, it is possible to be resident in two (or more) countries at once for tax purposes, or resident in none. The latter is usually preferable :-).

A Moose

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement