Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DurnibIII Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57302  
Subject: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 12:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
...and not in the way you think. I decided, for the first time since I started smoking 9 years ago, that I am going to quit. This is my first attempt to quit. I have no idea how to do it or how I'm going to be at it. I'm pretty nervous about the whole idea actually.

Anyway, I called my doctor this morning to ask for any advice re: patch, gum, prescriptions, etc. And he actually told me NOT to quit right now. To hold off and plan on quitting in a few weeks. His reasoning is I started a new job on October 10th, and I do suffer from anxiety and depression. Both of which I'm on some medium level meds for. Now, I tell you all that trusting that it's ok to share it. If not, I'll go to the Depression Board for support. But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to talk about my decision to quit.

My best friend just called me in reaction to my telling him my doctor said do not quit and he agreed with my doctor.

I'm telling you, I'm in some kind of bizarro word. For 9 years people have been saying "quit, quit, quit." Now I decide to, and they say "Well, we didn't mean now."

I want a smoke. I do. But I'm trying to occupy myself and not have one.

I guess what I want to know is, has anyone EVER been told not to quit "just yet?" Is that normal?

Thanks. And sorry for the rambling. I'm so effing confused.

-b.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53854 of 57302
Subject: Re: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
I guess what I want to know is, has anyone EVER been told not to quit "just yet?" Is that normal?

Yes.

I had been smoking heavily for 30 years, and I went to my doctor (of Internal Medicine) with what he diagnosed as high blood pressure. At the time, I had been looking after my mother with Alzheimer's in our home for about a year. It had been a round-the-clock vigil to keep track of her, and my husband and I had to take turns sleeping or she would be out of the house and gone.

I asked the doctor if it would help my blood pressure to quit smoking, and he said certainly not while you are the caregiver in this situation. The effort to resist smoking would raise my blood pressure.

Sadly, I smoked for another 25 years.

Incidentally, back then, there were still ash trays in the waiting room!

cat

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53855 of 57302
Subject: Re: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 2:07 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm sure your friend and your doctor both know how much stress you are under. But I am going to disagree with both of them. Your doctor may be thinking of some of sad results from some to quit smoking meds have caused in others. A valid reason on his part and your friend's. But if you are willing to go cold turkey and try it without the quit smoking meds on top of the meds you are taking already, give that a try.

The time to quit is when you really want to and have decided that now is the best time to do it. Not to say it will be easy in any way and you know how much on your plate you can handle at one time.

I say go ahead and give it a try. You can post here for support. Use the Depression board too as well if it is helping you. (I didn't know there was one, good to know there one.) But for as long as you want to quit smoking, post here. Busy fingers on the keyboard can help keep them away from the smokes.

Hugs to you for wanting to quit and welcome to this board.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53856 of 57302
Subject: Re: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 7
"Is that normal?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my lifetime, I have yet to have anyone be able to define the
state called "noormal".

folks say that making decisions during periods of stress is - well -
stressful. And they are pretty much right in my book. But decisions
are always stressful if you look at them as such.

So, planning ahead to quit smoking - a real good idea - make a list
of reasons why you want to quit - come to terms with the whys and hows
of quitting a habit that has been a close friend and confidant for a
while - a crutch prehaps - admittedly a crutch that has razor blades
where you lean on it and poisonous spiders nesting where you grab it -
but a crutch.

Quitting smoking to me is kind of a commitment kind of thing - a
process that sometimes can take a long time. There is no sucess or
failure - no judgement and no right or wrong about it - just a
gradual recognition that inhaling smoke from a burning plant does
not really change who you are, how you are, or anything. The
habit does not help you - overall it harms.
If you go out for a smoke break, you come back with exactly the same
problems and pluses - just a little more time passed and a little more
money burned and a little less life expectancy, and a little more
of a waft of odor. But you also have a little "high" going on - and
the mind likes that little high. So, quitting is an attempt to
get your thinking part of your mind to overcome the desires of
the feelings part of your mind. I sincerely believe that the
difference between a quit that works and one that does not work
is basically a mind-game. And as in any game, sometimes you win and
sometimes you lose - but there is this one little difference when
it comes to quitting a habit - you get to decide when the game ends.
You may say, "I quit!" and be smoking two weeks later - but you can
still say "I quit again!" - and do it.

Unfortunately, after quitting for ten years or more, you can also slip
and light up and find that the "mind game" continues.

So, I guess I am saying that quitting smoking is a process - not
a single event. I wish you luck, get a list of reasons not to light
up and keep it handy, and post as much as you like or can.

Howie52
Known as a perfectly normal guy.

BTW: I quit just a tad before the 9/11 attacks and also just a month
before my mother passed away. Stress can be a bear and a bear that
keeps on coming. Posting here helped me quit. Friends asking if
a cig. really would help me do anything also helped. Getting the mind
to think before reacting to light up a smoke is really hard.

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53857 of 57302
Subject: Re: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 6
Dear Durnibill,

One thing that you should take into consideration is that smoking is something of an "upper" and if you suffer from mild depression and anxiety, quitting smoking may exacerbate the condition. That said, I am sure that your meds can be adjusted to compensate for the lack of the smoking upper if need be (well, I'm not sure, but suspect it is possible). So, I think quitting is something that you and your doctor have to be on the same page about and working together to make it successful.

Your desire to quit is admirable and everyone here will help you get through quitting but based on what you have shared with us I think it is best if you and your doctor plan to attack this together and an extra week or two before you start should not affect you negatively.
Keep posting here and we will try to keep your spirits up and give you more tips than you can ever use once you start to quit.

Good Luck
Shelley

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53858 of 57302
Subject: Re: I disagree with my Dr. re: Smoking Date: 10/23/2009 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 10
In 1983 I underwent treatment for chemical dependency. At that time they told us not to try quitting smoking at the same time since it was too easy to get discouraged doing too much at one time and ultimately relapse on the chemical dependency. I personally quit using Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant, to take the edge off the withdrawal from nicotine which I discontinued about 1 month after quitting. Five months after quitting I started having anxiety, panic attacks and my doctor put me on Zoloft for 5-6 months at which point I sensed that I no longer needed the drugs. It's now been well over 9 yrs. and I haven't had any problems. I knew in advance of my quit and had discussed with my doctor that I had suffered the panic attacks on 2 previous quits and we had already established that if it happened again I would call him and we would treat it which we did. I agree with Shelley that you need to work out the details of your quit with your doctor even if you choose not to follow his advice of putting it off.

If it were me, I would probably set a quit date of at least 1 month from the time of starting a new job. There are a three reasons I would wait a little longer to quit. One, starting a new job is stressful and you have indicated you already have some anxiety and depression issues. Giving yourself a few weeks to become acclimated to the job should lower the stress level. Two, during the first few weeks on a new job your mind has to process the new rules, duties and environment which always left me in a somewhat confused and exhausted state for a few weeks until many tasks start becoming reactive habits.(Of course my wife says I was confused before, during and after8^) Quitting smoking at this time could be a big interference because the body undergoes many physical, chemical and mental changes which can create a bit of a mental fog and affect concentration for a little while. Third, you are still making first impressions and developing interpersonal relationships with new work associates. Quitting smoking puts most of us on an emotional roller coaster for a while (some might say psychopathic, my wife did;^). Being overtly moody is not the best way to start off relationships. Those are the reasons I would temporarily delay your quit. When I quit I made the decision to quit in early January and set the quit date with my doctor for February 3 so I would avoid an out of town conference. Whatever you decide with your doctor, set a definitive quit date and don't delay indefinitely or the addiction will take over and you probably won't do it. When I look back on it, every day after setting the quit date and until I actually quit, I constantly reminded myself that no matter what, when that date came, I was going to quit on February 3. In a sense my real quit date was the day in January when with my doctor I made the mental commitment
to quit Feb 3 and I never looked back.

We look forward to having you join us as another who has decided to no longer be a smoker. We are happy to try to give you any support we can both before and after your quit. We work hard to try to keep this the most non-judgmental message board you will ever find! (As long as you forgive the puns and off the wall humor that spews forth occasionally to break up the intensity of quitting).

Elliott

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement