Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I disagree.
You have as much control over the money as any mutual fund investment. You can start with your money in a Fidelity S&P500 index. If you don't like that, you can move it to a different fund - maybe TIAA-CREFF's small cap blend index, or maybe Voya's GNMA income fund (bond fund).

Correct it is like a mutual fund, usually with management fees. Again you do not have control over what they invest in a mutual fund just like the 529.

Why not allow us to open a brokerage account designated as a 529 plan and allow us to invest in whatever we want. Real Estate, Metals, Individual Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds etc..

On the fees for example go here to page two:
Then check out page 5
Over 10 years if you invest $10,000, the cost (fee) is about $1,000 and that is with a 5% rate of return.

This is for my state, yours might be better.
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.