Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/5/2012 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I do a lot of quilting, and I have had Berninas for over 30 years and have always been happy with them. They are well built, do what they are supposed to do, and last forever--but they are pricey. I have several friends who have Vikings and are quite happy with them, too.

What I recommend is that you find a local sewing machine dealer who services what they sell. Tell them the features you are looking for, the kind of sewing you do, the amount of money you are willing to spend, etc. Then take some scraps of the fabrics you typically use and actually sew on the machine(s) you are considering. Any reputable dealer should let you do that, and a "test run" will tell you a lot about the machine(s) you are looking at.
If you do a lot of quilting, make sure that there is enough space between the needle and the right side of your machine to fit a rolled-up quilt, and that there are plenty of feet available for the types of sewing you like to do--a good even feed ("walking") foot, 1/4" guide foot, etc. are probably two you will want to look at.

Let us know what you end up getting!

isewquilts2
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement