No. of Recommendations: 0
I do not believe that you must indicate on your tax return that you have contributed to a Roth IRA. You do indicate if you contributed to a conventional IRA especially if some of the funds in the IRA are tax deductible and some are not. You also indicate if you withdrew money from Roth or conventional IRA.

Your broker may very well notify the IRS that you have made a contribution.

I do not see any indication that Roth IRA rules are strictly enforced at this time. However, the great fear is that IRS will decide to audit your account just as you retire and begin to take withdrawals. The worst would be if they decided it was unlawful and therefore earnings were not protected from income taxes in the years earned so you have to pay back taxes plus interest and penalties. This could mean no Roth IRA assets left. So its probably not worth taking chanches. Make an honest effort to follow the rules. Most of the time it will probably be OK.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.