Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
I do not doubt they can ultimately analyze the DNA of these selected individuals, and determine their genetics. And yes, there are moral and ethical problems with this that need discussion, but not by me and not here.

On the other hand, I am not optimistic about the overall outcome. For the last decade or two, there has been quite a fad in biological research based on the premise that most everything is genetically caused. This lets the powers that be off the hook for what are more influenced by the environment, that starts part way through a pregnancy, and continues for some years after a child is born. And for this, what matters more than the genetics is the cultural richness of the child's (and later, the young adult's) environment -- something the powers that be could improve if they wished. Parents who are poorly educated, school systems with overworked teachers, obsolete books, oversized classes, where cultural experience is reduced to television and the Internet, no museums, no theaters, no art galleries, etc., have a marked effect at reducing the intelligence of children. And then, when they grow up, their cultural poverty results in their children having the same deficiencies. If the society were truly interested in raising the intelligence of the general population, it would work on improving the quality of schools beyond rote memorization that has little or nothing to do with intelligence, and the provision of non-scholastic avenues of education in addition to formal schooling.

But it is easier to get off the hook and evade the responsibility for doing this, by saying "too bad; it is genetic; inferior people are like this and nothing can be done about it." That ensures that nothing will be done about it.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement