Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I do not know of a tutorial.

Partial conversions are allowed. It is your decision on how much to convert in any one year.

Have you made after-tax contributions to your Traditional IRA? If you have, then rolling a 401K/403B to an IRA could dilute the tax basis resulting in more taxable income on conversions.

The taxable amount of the conversion is added to your income. It is taxed as regular income.

Non-trustee-to-trustee rollovers are restricted to one per account per year. Trustee-to-trustee rollovers do not have the same restriction, but the best of plans can be undone by incompetent service reps. You are planning on consolidating accounts. It is best to plan on rolling accounts into the destination account, rather than into an intermediate account(s) then merging/moving the intermediate accounts.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.