UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189581  
Subject: I do not really need help with a stupid computer Date: 11/7/2012 12:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My main computer was not stupid before. But after Sandy, my power went off for almost a week. When the power returned, even though the house has a whole-house surge protector, and another in the APC Smart-UPS, when the computer came one, there was a rapid fire set of four bangs and a puff of smoke from the power supply. It even popped the 20A circuit breaker that runs only this computer.

So it is not stupid, but totally brain damaged. I considered fixing it for a while, but it is 9 years old, and if I need a new mother board, ... .

So I am ordering a new one instead. Many bux. I want to save the two 10,000 rpm SCSI hard drives, and the VXA-2 tape drive (where my backups are), etc. It will take about 2 weeks to get the new machine in here, and than I will have to get it all configured and ready to go again.

What fun. 8-(
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182419 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Silly question, but why use 10k SCSI drives?

You can get superior performance out of newer drives.

Just curious.

xSSMBB

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182420 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 2:03 PM
Recommendations: 0
JeanDavid, welcome back. I feared you were without power or worse from the recent storm. Sounds like you escaped flooding or major damage.

I was hoping you could update us on the problems with NJ Transit over on the Railroads board.

How do you manage to get on line without your laptop? Tablet? Smart phone?

Best wishes. I hope you are ok in the current storm.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182423 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 4:13 PM
Silly question, but why use 10k SCSI drives?

I designed that machine in late 2003 and finished building it in early 2004. I first booted it in early March. At the time I built it, I was doing some heavy database stuff (using postgreSQL) and I knew that kind of thing was IO limited. So I wanted a lot of spindles to minimize seeking. I also wanted very fast data transfers and short seek times. I also wanted to be able to seek and do IO on multiple drives at the same time. In those days, EIDE and SCSI were the options, and EIDE drives just could not manage it. Were I doing that today, I would use a combination of SAS drives and one SSD drive (if you can call those things drives). But since I am not doing that work anymore, I will be scrapping the 4 small SCSI drives. Anyhow, 4 of these drives (smallones: 20 GBytes) were dedicated to the database, and 2 of them (larger ones: 76 GBytes) were used for the rest of the system. The motherboard supported two Ultra/320 LVD SCSI controllers to increase parallel processing ability. The motherboard had two Intel Xeon 3.06 GHz hyperthreaded processors that acted as 4 separate processors as far as the OS was concerned. There were 8 GBytes of RAM so a lot of the data remained in RAM instead of being retrived from disk -- when possible.

As far as the new machine is concerned, those SCSI drives are perfectly good, and it may be easier to backup my data onto the new machine by just putting those SCSI drives. And they are highly reliable, so I might as well keep them in there. The new machine will also have a new SATA hard drive in there. I will need the SCSI adapter to drive the two SCSI drives and also my VXA-2 tape drive where my backups are.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182424 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 4:20 PM
I was hoping you could update us on the problems with NJ Transit over on the Railroads board.

Will do.

How do you manage to get on line without your laptop? Tablet? Smart phone?

I have another machine that does not connect directly to the Internet. I could reconfigure it to talk to the net, but I do not wish to bother. I borrowed a small Compaq machine from a friend and it has Ubuntu in it, so I am using that. I prefer Red Hat Enterprise Linux, though, so my new machine will have version 6 of that. I was running RHEL 5 on the one that just died.

I do not have a laptop or tablet. I have a plain Motorola RAZR cell phone and I do not wish to upgrade. Technically, I can use it on the web, but right now I have power. I just went out to get food that does not have to be frozen or cooked. Electic stove. Hot water and heat are gas, but that is controlled by electricity, so I was much too cold for a week. Not in immediate danger of death, but sleeping in a 58F house when I am used to 69F was a trial. I put 3 blankets on the bed.

I am supposed to use a BiPAP machine for my sleep apnea, but I could not without electricity. I survived that.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182430 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/7/2012 9:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
Call APC and ask for a replacement PC. That IS their warranty. And their UPS did fail which caused everything to blow.

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182451 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 12:20 PM
I have 2 10K Velicorapters if you you have SATA on your new machine

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182452 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 12:22 PM
I moved my Exchange stores from a 23 disk 15K SAS array to a 4 disk SLC array. WAY better IOPS.

if your working set is small enough the Intel X25G2s are around 60 bucks for a 80GB drive and will spank even SAS in IOPS

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182462 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 7:23 PM
Call APC and ask for a replacement PC. That IS their warranty. And their UPS did fail which caused everything to blow.

There are two problems with your suggestion.

1.) I build that machine from parts 9 years ago, and there is no place I could get one like that. Furthermore, since it was not a mass-produced commercial item, there is no way they could evaluate the replacement cost of it.

2.) It is not a bit clear that the UPS failed. It is working just fine right now. That power supply has been on 24/7/52 since I got it in early 2003, and the UPS is pretty new. The UPS was running the computer for about 20 minutes after the power failed. I then shut it all down. The main power panel has a whole-house surge protector in it that is working. When I turned on the UPS (there was power to it), it came up normally and passed its internal self-check.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182463 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 7:28 PM
I have 2 10K Velicorapters if you you have SATA on your new machine

New machine will do SATA and SAS.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182464 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 7:33 PM
if your working set is small enough

My working set, so-to-speak, is now so small that I do not need anywhere near the IO power as I did back then. A single 7200 rpm SATA drive would be enough. I am putting in the two 72 GByte 10,000 rpm SCSI drives to make it easier to recover the files. And if they are working OK, I might as well use them for something. All it will take, if they still work, is an Ultra/320 PCIe controller card.

That will also drive my VXA2 tape drive where all my backups are. (I can always read them on my other machine that has the same type drive, and data link the stuff over if necessary.)

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182468 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/8/2012 11:54 PM
"1.) I build that machine from parts 9 years ago, and there is no place I could get one like that. Furthermore, since it was not a mass-produced commercial item, there is no way they could evaluate the replacement cost of it."

Let them worry about all that.
Just like with any insurance adjuster you work it out.

"2.) It is not a bit clear that the UPS failed."

Ditto.
B

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182469 of 189581
Subject: Re: I do not really need help with a stupid comp Date: 11/9/2012 12:31 AM
1.) I build that machine from parts 9 years ago, and there is no place I could get one like that. Furthermore, since it was not a mass-produced commercial item, there is no way they could evaluate the replacement cost of it.

Their problem. Price out the replacement parts new today (or a prebuilt you can get today that is comparable to new now). Let them deal with it. If just one thing (or two) got zapped, then it is understandable. But the whole PC lost is another.

2.) It is not a bit clear that the UPS failed. It is working just fine right now.

You THINK (hope?) it is working fine now. They replaced my 4-5 yr old UPS with a new unit this past summer. I use it to protect my HDTV and other electronics connected to it. Original APC battery in it--FAILED. It worked, but not correctly. It was cracked near all four corners. But the failure was not obvious until the thing was beeping and would not stop. Open it up and the problem is clear. Don't know why or how it did what it did, but they wanted it back. Sent me a new UPS and I returned the funky one to them in the same box.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement