No. of Recommendations: 0
I do not understand this restriction. You can open up a Roth IRA if you wish to do so. Your total contribution to both is limited to $3000. But you can allocate it in any way that you wish.

If you had said that you had passed an income threshold that prevented investing in a Roth IRA, I would understand that. Is it because you wish to make deductions? If so, it is usually better to take the Roth IRA unless your time-frame is very short.

Well, in my situation, I do not qualify for a Roth due to my income. However, even if my income qualified me, I would still be capped at a total of $3000, as opposed to approximately $14000 total if I had a 401(k) and an IRA.

I was curious if there was anything to do as a person with no 401(k) available to "make up" the lost opportunity of putting away $11000, outside of investing it in a brokerage account.

From what I gather, the answer is no unless my income is from self-employment (1099) and then I could do a variety of plans such as a SEP-IRA or a Keogh.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.