Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ladyandy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 892  
Subject: Re: OT: Solarcaine Sales - particularly for Urch Date: 11/11/2002 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I do occasionally make an effort to get some extra sunlight because of my psoriasis. It always helps for me, although I do know there is a small percentage of people with psoriasis who react negatively to sunlight.

Phototherapy is very useful for people with severe psoriasis and this is often administered in a dermatologist's office. Some people buy their own phototherapy units for home use, but require a prescription for this and often have to get their units reset after a prescribed number of uses to force the patient to get their skin rechecked by the dermatologist before continuing the potentially carcinogenic therapy.

Some will apply topicals like coal tar preparations to sensitize their skin to the phototherapy, but this should of course be done with great care at first until the correct dose is determined. (burning is NOT recommended and may cause a severe flare of Koebner reaction type psoriasis in reaction to the burn, so better to start very, very slowly)

Other items will also affect the potency of the phototherapy, such as eating celery, which also sensitizes the skin.

Their are prescription drugs that may be taken prior to phototherapy to increase sensitivity as well, such as the PABA used to make for PUVA therapy (the P in PUVA is the drug plus the UVA). Their are also specialized types of phototherapy units that dispense just UVA or UVB light, as well as narrow focused UV units and such.

Remember that ANY form of phototherapy can increase the incidence of skin cancers of any form (there are 3 forms). Therefore, anyone who is using phototherapy, whether from natural sunlight or from tanning salons or in a dermatologist's office should always be particularly careful to watch for the usual signs of a skin cancer. (changes in a mole, for example, or irregular edges in a mole, or different colors in a mole, any change in a mole, especially one about the size of a pencil eraser)

http://www.dermconsultants.com/articles/solar_damage.htm

The above link will give a good overview of the potential damage that may result from phototherapy from any source and is written for the lay person. The author is a well-respected practicing dermatologist and a friend of mine. He calls tanning booths "tanning coffins". :)

Best regards,
Ladyandy

PS: for more information on phototherapy for psoriasis, see the National Psoriasis Foundation ( http://www.psoriasis.org/ )
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement