UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65308  
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I do want to keep Airport Utility 6.x - so can I rename the main or basic part of an OSX program just like I would a file and have things work normally? If the answer to that is No, how about sticking the 5.6 version in a different location?

On many applications, that's not an issue. I have multiple copies of Office, Turbo Tax, BBEdit, Stuffit Expander, VLC, Mac the Ripper, OmniWeb, and GraphicsConverter. Many are just renamed, though some are in their own folders (folder's renamed, application with it's original name).

For me, it depends on if there are other things in an app folder for it.

But the other problem is if it uses files from other locations, like photoshop using plugins. I could see an Apple app, like the Airport Utility, using some plugin or extension saved somewhere else, that would get updated or replaced when you install the new one.

Most likely it is fine. I suppose the best way to try it out is to make a backup of your whole system, then duplicate the app and rename one of them. Install the new one, which will likely overwrite or delete the one you didn't rename. And then try out the old one.

Aaron
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement