Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I donate to a number of charities. And they all give me receipts except for one, my church. I go to a large church, and they only give year end tax receipts for individual donations over $250 at a time. But if you donate, say, $50/week for the whole year, for a total of $2600, you don't get a receipt, ever. This makes me nervous. I do always donate by check. But should I be worried about my tax deduction? Are cancelled checks, which I would have to order from my bank, good enough for an IRS auditor?

Receipts are not required for donations under $250 unless something of value was provided by the charity. Your cancelled checks would be sufficient were you audited. Actually, you probably wouldn't even have to get the checks. Your register plus your bank statements would be sufficient.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.